ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL
At this time, we would like to enlist the help of all parents and children regarding the very important topic of arrival and dismissal of school. For the safety of all of our children, it is critical that every parent and guardian read this information. An explanation and practice run of these arrival and dismissal procedures should ensure a smoother transition for the children.
Children should arrive to school no earlier than 8:30 AM and will be dismissed from school promptly at 3:15 PM. School hours are 8:45 AM – 3:15 PM.
For the sake of student safety, we ask your support and cooperation in following all guidelines:
- When you are waved forward, please move cars up to the end of the circle. If you see your child, but have been waved forward, please wave your child to the front of the circle. Communicating this to your child in advance should help relieve any anxiety.
- Entering/exiting a vehicle should only occur when it stops completely.
- All students should be entering/exiting a vehicle on the southeast side of the big oak trees. This way, children will not walk in front of cars that could be moving.
- Watch for pedestrians crossing from the visitor parking area.
- The small drive in front of the school (boot) is for moving traffic only; your vehicle should never be left unattended, even for a minute, while in this area.
- The circle is for pick up/drop off only. Please use a parking space whenever you need to enter the building.
- Vehicles should never be double parked.
- Point children in the right direction of designated arrival area.
- Encourage children to ask an adult for assistance.
- All students will enter the building through the main entrance between 8:30 AM and 8:45 AM. Bus riders will exit buses from the main parking lot and walk to the main entrance to enter school.
- The “Boot” is to be used if you plan to bring your child to school and is for moving traffic only. If you need to enter the building (even if only for a minute), please park your car in a parking space in the “Boot” or main parking lot.
Please Note: Students should not arrive at school prior to 8:30 AM as there is no supervision in place until this time.
Dismissal for students is at 3:15 PM.
- Bus riders will dismiss through the exit doors on the east side of the building to the bus lot.
- Students being picked up by car will be dismissed through exit doors on the west side of the building and are to be picked up in the main parking lot.
- For afternoon pick-up, vehicles will form two lines around the perimeter of the main parking lot and merge to a single lane just before the Student Loading Zone (Please see the image).
- Please pull your vehicle as far forward as possible. The left lane in the Student Loading Zone must be kept clear so cars may exit the lot.
- For safety reasons, students will only be allowed to enter vehicles on the passenger side of the vehicle from the sidewalk area. Students will not be permitted to walk into the parking lot or along the south end of the parking lot to enter a vehicle.
- For safety reasons, Walkers must stay on the designated walking paths. Walking areas for Frederick School include; Avon on the Prairie, Estates of Eastlake, Quail Creek, Cherry Creek, Stratford-On-Avon.
- Walkers should keep their distance from ponds/retention ponds and must NEVER attempt to walk on frozen ponds in the winter months.
Please contact Durham School Services at 847-543-9244 if there will be changes to your child’s transportation.
All routes have a designated start time. Once the route begins buses do not wait at each stop. Please have your child at your designated bus stop 5 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time. Keep in mind when the weather and road conditions are bad, it will affect the bus schedule.
During the winter months when heavy snowfall can sometimes block a bus stop, the driver can drop off or pick up at the nearest cleared driveway.
The following contact at Durham is available if you have questions or concerns regarding school transportation:
Kevin Middleditch, Manager – 847-543-9244
Gina Mudd, Operation Supervisor
School Bus Rules & Safety Tips
On Bus Camera Notice
For the safety of our employees and students, Durham School Services reserves the right to monitor and document student behavior on buses utilizing recording devices. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy on-board Durham buses, and students’ actions and words may be monitored with video and/or audio as permitted by federal, state, and local regulations. Student conduct that is recorded and prohibited by regulations or school district policy will result in disciplinary action. This policy will apply to all transportation services provided by Durham School Services.